PARISH RELIGIOUS EDUCATION PROGRAM
WHAT IS PREP?
St. Ann’s parish supports and encourages parents in their responsibility to teach the Catholic faith to their children. St. Ann’s PREP provides religious education classes to children grades 1-8 who attend public school. In PREP, children grow in faith and knowledge with other children from the parish. Our teaching emphasizes the Bible, Mass, Morality, Sacraments, prayer, and service to the parish family and community.
WHY PARTICIPATE IN PREP?
A foundation in faith helps our children address the challenges they will face in life. While parents are the first and best teachers of our Catholic faith to their children, PREP teachers (catechists) from our parish family give children a supportive environment to help them learn, and apply their Catholic faith in a practical way. Check out Top 10 Reasons You Should Be a Catechist.
- Children generally receive the sacraments of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion at the end of second grade, provided they have attended two years of religious instruction.
- Children ages 9 -13 who have little or no faith formation can be placed in a special group to enable them to receive the sacraments of initiation: Baptism, Holy Communion, and Confirmation.
- The sacrament of Confirmation is generally received at the end of 8th grade provided the child has attended 7th and 8th grade religious education classes and fulfilled the requirements for reception of Confirmation. Learn more about the Sacraments.
- PREP classes meet in St. Ann School.
- Grades 1-7 meet on Wednesdays from 4:30-5:45 pm, or 6:45- 8:00 pm from September until the end of April.
- Grade 8 Confirmation classes meet Sunday morning, Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday evening.
PREP Inclement Weather Information
If St. Ann’s/East Penn Schools cancel classes for the day or dismiss early there will be no PREP, even if the weather improves. If the weather gets worse during the day, we will announce cancellation of classes on Channel 69 WFMZ.
Please do not call the rectory or the PREP office. If the weather is poor I will not be in the office to take your call. Tune in to Channel 69 WFMZ or check their storm center website for school closing information.