WHY JOIN "FOOD FOR THE NEEDY?"
Please join Food for the Needy if you want to put your faith into action and perform the Corporal Work of Mercy "feed the hungry" every day, not just during holiday food drives.
WHAT IS "FOOD FOR THE NEEDY?"
Food for the Poor collects non-perishable food items at the exits of the church during the "off season" of popular holiday food drives. While many charitable organizations collect food before Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, we collect during the other times of the year when donations are not as plentiful. We deliver our donations to the food pantry at Catholic Charities in Allentown, where it is given to the neediest people in our area who come to the Diocese of Allentown for help.
WHAT WE DO:
- Maintain plastic bins at the exits of the church to collect food donations
- Advertise the need for food donations in the church bulletin
- Encourage children to donate a favorite non-perishable food by placing it in the baskets on the altar when they come up to receive their children's bulletin
- Empty all food donation bins after the 12 noon Mass each Sunday
- Transport collected food to Catholic Charities the following Monday during normal business hours
"FOOD FOR THE NEEDY" MEMBERS:
- Must be physically able to lift and carry boxes/bags of food items
- Have reliable transportation to deliver items to Catholic Charities
- Could be a family like yours!
iNTERESTED IN JOINING "FOOD FOR THE NEEDY?"
To join Food for the Needy, please contact Jeff Landau.